|<- Click to go back to winter recipes|
Regular Lite Lasagna
Spaghetti Squash and Eggplant Lasagna
Step-by-Step Lite Lasagna, with Mushrooms instead of Meat**See Notes at bottom for instructions on how to add Spaghetti Squash and Eggplant to this recipe
Here is how I do my meatless lasagna. I suggest doing it with Barilla brand no boil noodles if you don't have the time to boil them first. I make my own fresh tomato sauce, any tomato sauce recipe you like will do here. This recipe I have lightened up by using part skim mozzarella and ricotta cheese. However, I use the real fresh and best parmigiana reggiano cheese and pecorino romano. A little goes a long way. My recipe has layers of flavor using as little fat as possible. No bechamel, no deep frying vegetables, just a little extra virgin olive oil. I use mushrooms instead of meat, any fresh mushrooms you like will be good in here. Even dry , reconstituted mushrooms will add tons of flavor. Can also add to mushrooms chunks of butternut squash. No need for meat. I enhance the flavors by adding fresh organic spinach, basil and a touch of nutmeg to the ricotta cheese filling. Hope you try this and realize a piece of this lasagna won't kill your diet and will make you very happy. However, if you really want to go for it forget the part skim cheeses and use fresh whole milk mozzarella and ricotta. Mangia!!
1. To a mixing bowl add 15 oz of part skim ricotta cheese add one organic egg, then add pureed spinach and basil, nutmeg mixture, and some parmigiana and romano cheese. Mix this all together in a bowl and set aside. Blend in parsley and black pepper.
2. Chop a container of baby bella mushrooms(slice), chop 2 shallots, a few cloves of garlic. Prepare herbs for saute, chop basil and parsley. Get out your best aged balsamic for deglazing pan.
3. Add 2 tbls extra virgin olive oil to pan. Add sprigs of fresh thyme to infuse oil.
4. Add the mushrooms , garlic, shallots and saute in evoo till done about 3 minutes adding a splash of balsamic to deglaze pan. Add salt and pepper to taste and remove thyme sprigs. Careful not to burn garlic.
5. Add some white wine and a splash of balsamic to pan.
6. Lay down sauce
7. Lay down cheese
8. Lay down cheese, basil mix from step 1
9. Lay down mushrooms
10. Repeat steps 6-9 again, with more cheese as pictured on top if desired.
10. Follow Barilla box instructions for baking.
Notes for making this into Spaghetti Squash Lasagna:All I did different for a Spaghetti Squash Lasagna, was substitute roasted eggplant for mushrooms and added a topping of cooked spaghetti squash. Simply cut up the eggplant, and roasted it at 375 for about 20 minutes turning it 1/2 way through. Sprinkling it first with oregano, salt and pepper and drizzle of olive oil. Cook till tender and brown. I used the little asian lavender eggplants, but you can use any you like.